July 20, 2017 · 03:59 PM
8 Powerful Humanity Quotes From Some Of The Most Influential People In History
February 27, 2017 · BOTWC Staff
In Jesse Williams' acceptance speech for BET's 2016 Humanitarian Award, he took the opportunity to recognize those fighting on the front lines for social justice, to advocate for equal rights and to affirm the humanity of Black people by proudly stating: "Just because we're magic, doesn't mean we're not real." Here are 8 quotes from some of the most influential people in history who also used their platform to speak out for humanity.
1. Nelson Mandela, the first Black president of South Africa
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity."
2. Shirley Chisholm, the first African American Congresswoman and first African American woman to run for the nomination of a major political party for President of the United States
"In the end anti-Black, anti-female, and all forms of discrimination are equivalent to the same thing…. anti-humanism."
3. Malcolm X, human rights activist and one of the greatest leaders of the 20th century
"Human rights are something you were born with. Human rights are your God-given rights. Human rights are the rights that are recognized by all nations of this earth."
4. Zora Neale Hurston, one of the most influential African American writers of the 20th century
"It seemed to me that the human beings I met reacted pretty much the same to the same stimuli. Different idioms, yes. Circumstances and conditions having power to influence, yes. Inherent difference, no."
5. Thurgood Marshall, the first African American Supreme Court Justice
"In recognizing the humanity of our fellow beings, we pay ourselves the highest tribute."
6. Maya Angelou, legendary author and poet
"I refuse to allow any man-made differences to separate me from any other human beings."
7. James Baldwin, iconic writer and activist
"From my point of view, no label, no slogan, no party, no skin color, and indeed no religion is more important than the human being."
8. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. , civil rights leader and one of the greatest leaders of the 20th century
"All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence."
July 20, 2017 · 10:04 AM
July 19, 2017 · 11:04 AM