February 21, 2017 · 02:41 PM
Happy Birthday Michelle Obama: 8 Quotes That Remind Us Why You'll Always Be Our First Lady
January 17, 2017 · BOTWC Staff
First Lady Obama is celebrating her 53rd birthday today! For the past 8 years she has been an example of grace, grit, love, inspiration and overall Black Girl Magic. Although today is her last birthday in the White House, the lessons she taught us will always make her the first image that comes to mind when we think of what it means to be the First Lady of the United States. Today should officially, and forever be, "Mo Day!"
Here are 8 quotes that capture some of the many ways that she taught us how to love ourselves, believe in ourselves, protect ourselves, and not only wish for, but to also pursue the best for ourselves. She will always be our First Lady!
1. "You don’t have to be somebody different to be important. You’re important in your own right. People want and need to value you because of who you are, because of your story, because of your challenges."
Photo credit: Paul Sancya/AP Photo
2. "Failing is a crucial part of success. Every time you fail and get back up, you practice perseverance, which is the key to life. Your strength comes in your ability to recover."
3. "One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals."
Photo credit: Art Streiber / Variety
4. "Do not bring people in your life who weigh you down. And trust your instincts…good relationships feel good. They feel right. They don’t hurt. They’re not painful."
Photo credit: Getty Images
5. "Whether you come from a council estate or a country estate, your success will be determined by your own confidence and fortitude."
Photo credit: Wenn
6. "Just do what works for you, because there will always be someone who thinks differently."
Photo credit: James Bareham
7. "When someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you don’t stoop to their level. No, our motto is, when they go low, we go high."
8."I have learned that as long as I hold fast to my beliefs and values—and follow my own moral compass—then the only expectations I need to live up to are my own."
February 20, 2017 · 10:13 PM
February 20, 2017 · 05:22 PM