She saved her entire family!
A 9-year-old used quick thinking to call 911 as carbon monoxide filled her family’s home, CNN reports. Jayline Barbosa Brandão lives in Brockton, Massachusetts. Recently, the city was hit hard by the nor’easter storm, leaving many without power, including Brandão and her family. Three days after the storm they borrowed a generator for their home. Initially, they set it up near the back door, running it for just a few minutes before turning it off due to the loud noise. Jayline’s father then decided to unplug everything from it and bring it into the house for safekeeping.
On October 28th, Jayline was in bed when she heard her dad yelling. She ran and found him with her mom, who had fallen unconscious.
“I heard my dad screaming and saw my mom passed out,” Jayline told reporters.
Before she knew it, her dad was also being overtaken by the colorless, odorless carbon monoxide gas. That’s when Jayline grabbed his phone but realized it was locked, quickly using facial ID to hurry up and unlock it and call 911.
“So, I unlocked it by using my dad’s face,” she recalled.
“I unlocked it by using my dad’s face”
9-year-old hero Jayline Brandao of Brockton knew her mom & dad were in trouble.
Fatal levels of carbon monoxide filled her family’s home, she unlocked her dads phone, dialed 911 & even called neighbors!
Her amazing story
— Scott McDonnell (@ScottMcDonnell_) November 1, 2021advertisement
Her mom, Marcelina Brandão, said her daughter took her 7-year-old younger sister and ran out to get help from a neighbor. She says she remembers having a headache and feeling dizzy and nauseous before passing out, attributing it to a migraine. The next thing she knew, she woke up in an ambulance on the way to the hospital.
Overall, Brockton Fire Department Chief Brian Nardelli reported taking five people from the house to the hospital for treatment. Rescue crews discovered the generator in the house, detecting carbon monoxide levels of 1,000 parts per million (ppm) in the home.
According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission, sustained concentrations above 150 to 200 ppm can lead to disorientation, loss of consciousness, and even death. The National Weather Service also recommends keeping a backup generator at least 20 feet away from doors, windows, and vents, as well as ensuring your home has working carbon monoxide detectors.
Marcelina says she’s so grateful for Jayline’s fast action that saved the lives of their family. She told reporters that she and her husband were doing better. The gas didn’t severely impact Jayline, their youngest daughter, and her mom.
“She was so smart. That was very scary. If it wasn’t [for] her to call right away, I don’t know what would have happened,” Marcelina said.
The Brockton Fire Department has reported responding to about 20 carbon monoxide cases since the storm hit and is encouraging everyone to make sure their detectors are working.
Jayline, you’re a hero!
Photo Courtesy of Boston 25